Phase 1 – Re-architecting of web platform (Completed May/18)
Novinsoft Technology Roadmap
The last few years have been marked by the shift from Windows everywhere to a more fragmented world of multiple platforms / OSes. While the enterprise / line of business space moves much slower than the consumer space, change is coming here as well. Microsoft itself has recognized this shift and has responded by positioning the .NET development stack as an open source / cross platform development solution, something unthinkable even 5 years ago. As a result there are now multiple .NET implementations.
The most promising, .NET Standard (an interface, not an actual implementation) which represents a promise by Microsoft that code written to the .NET Standard specification will run on all implementations.
At Novinsoft, we are responding to these developments by re-architecting our development framework and processes to ultimately provide a cross platform .NET solution to our clients. As this is an enormous undertaking we are taking a phased approach with concrete deliverables throughout 2018/2019.
- Refactor the application into two completely separate parts, a web server and an application host that can be deployed on different machines. Middleware is targeting .NET Standard for cross platform compatibility. The web server does not have any dependency on the app engine, is developed in ASP.NET Core and can be deployed on Windows / Linux servers.
- A RESTful application model. REST (Representational State Transfer) is a model for developing networked applications matching the underlying HTTP protocol, which is stateless (each request is independent of the previous one). What this means in practice for an interactive application, is that the state of the user session is stored on the client and the relevant portion is passed to the server with each request, making it completely self-contained; it has everything that it needs for the server to process it and send back the appropriate results. A RESTful application can provide major advantages in reliability, scalability and deployment simplicity as the significant burden of maintaining the session state is distributed to the clients and server-side resources are in use only when a request is being actively processed.
Client front end
Phase 2 – A modern UI suitable for current device form factors and high DPI displays (ETA 2nd Half 2018)
- Node.js development stack
- Webpack as the build / distribution system; for producing a streamlined, optimized deliverable from the development machine to the server
- ReactJS as the UI development library
- Even with these major changes, the actual end user layout and styling is still done with the Bootstrap toolkit so the look and feel of the applications can remain the same
Existing Windows Forms based UI has been in service for more than 10 years, it is no longer suitable for today› world of multiple device form factors and high DPI displays.
Please check out our novinNEWS on Facebook
Keep up-to-date on news, events and releases from NOVINSOFT
Canada Life adds a new customizable term product
GWL/London Life/Canada Life Complete Illustration System